On the occasion of Saudi National Day celebrated on 23 September every year, our Quizmaster has prepared a little gem of a quiz for Jeddah Blog. It was first tested on students at the Jeddah Prep and Grammar School on their National Day and was a great hit with everyone there.
We have special permission to reproduce the quiz here, and the first person to leave a comment with all correct answers will be the recipient of a FREE copy of The Entertainer KSA 2012, worth SR 250, containing tons of buy-one-get-one-free coupons!
Please leave answers in the form 1a, 2b, 3c, etc. Please note that the winner must arrange collection of the book.
The winner of the competition is Farha ! Congratulations! Please get in touch with us on firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange to collect your prize.
Photo courtesy of abeerharbi.wordpress.com
1. What percentage of Saudi Arabia’s budget is spent on education?
a. 25% b)17%
c. 5% d)1%
2. Saudi Arabia’s main export is _________and main import is_________.
a. oil, clothing b. natural gas, gold
c. natural gas, consumer electronics d. oil, machinery/vehicles
3. The world’s largest desalination plant is located in Saudi Arabia. In which city is it?
a. Abha b. Jubail
c. Tabuk d. Ta’if
4. How many miles long is the King Fahd Causeway?
a. 18 b. 50
c. 16 d. 25
5. Which of these Saudi-owned companies is ranked the most valuable company in the world?
a. Saudi Aramco b. Saudi Telecom Company
c. Saudi Bin Laden Group d. SABIC
6. Which Saudi artist’s painting ‘X-ray 2003’ is one of only two Saudi paintings exhibited in the British Museum?
a. Saddek Wasil b. Abdulnasser Gharem
c. Ahmad Mater d. Sara Abdu
7. In how many Summer Olympic Games has Saudi Arabia participated?
a. 1 b. 2
c. 5 d. 8
8. The Saudi Arabia national football team is known by what name to its fans?
a. Al-Nasoor b. Al-Saqoor
c. Al-Gherban d. Al-Dajaaj
9. The King Fahd fountain in Jeddah is the tallest in the world. How far does the fountain propel its water up into the air?
a. 759 b. 989
c. 1024 d. 1243
10. The world’s longest stretch of desert is in Saudi Arabia, what is it called?
a. Abandoned Half b. Bare Eighth
c. Blank Third d. Empty Quarter